Thursday, June 17, 2010

Poem-A-Day: Day 217

Enter the Lampyridae Coleoptera
It's on those whiskey stained, summer nights
that I look longingly
out the window from the confines
that I willingly place my captivity.
I look out past the blinds;
small horizontal jail cell bars
that I am strong enough to bend,
but not break.
There is no escape,
simply because I will it to be.
Those nights, that I spend regretting every day
more than the day that came before,
because the people around me
assure me that my life has meant nothing
every single day up to that point,
they are probably right in believing so,
so I confine myself to a space
that I can do the least amount of harm
to myself or others.
On those nights, I look out past the bars,
and watch the lights dancing,
the lightning bugs dancing on the night sky.
I watch the fireflies living happily
as their bioluminescent selves light the world;
blinking attractive, much unlike myself.
The nights are dark, black and terrifying
except for the bemusing dance of the firefly.
On those whiskey soaked, summer nights
erased night after night,
I dream of being the fireflies,
dancing majestically for the wonderment of all,
two months before oblivion.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Drop a line, a quip, a snippet, your pants, or an anecdote...just don't drop the soap.