Friday, November 13, 2009

Poem-A-Day: Intro

This is the first entry in my attempt to write a poem a day. No, this is not inspired by that goddamn movie about Julia Child (as a sidenote, I would like to state that I have no problem with Julia Child, and I think she was a fantastic chef and woman). Instead, it is an attempt to keep me focused on writing, despite the stresses of studies and work. The idea is to just sit and write out what comes to mind at that moment. Similar to perhaps Ginsberg, but infinitely less speed involved.

In the future, I'll just post the poems without all this bullshit introduction stuff.

Drop a line if you like, call me gay, whatever it takes to float your boat, or toot your horn. Although, I would avoid tooting your horn too often in public, look what happened to Pee Wee Herman.

Anyhow, steady class attendance would be much obliged. So without further adieu, the beginning of a 365 day journey into the mental mess that is my brainus.

Everything is Eventual
Everything is eventual in this goddamn world.

My ears blister under
the blast of waves of mutilation
blaring the hot sun sound that dances on my head.

It’s an act of unimportance,
acquiescence to myself,
acquitted from my self.

Finally I don’t mind
drowning when I should be breathing,
drifting when I should be earning.

And the waves crash
warping the hardwood doors,
worshipping my new found sense of confidence not to
continue.

Everything is eventual in this goddamn world.

In the high life again,
haranguing the books at my feet for failing,
home to my own guilt.

What was right,
rough-hewn bricks in the wall
regaling with glittering gold stories.

All that glitters has the wrong attitude.
Gleefully believing it’s gold,
glad I know better.

You were right when you said,
“Respectfully, I decline your advances.”
Rooftop serenade in moonlight madness.

Everything is eventual in this goddamn world.
Everything is never all right.

2 comments:

  1. I like "hot sun sound". I feel like a language arts teacher right now...yikes. Anyway, I really like this blog idea! Then again, I'm a bit partial to you, so please take my bias into consideration.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I especially enjoyed the line, "All that glitters has the wrong attitude." I appreciate the take on reality. And I, too, definitely like this idea. I look forward to seeing what that scary/interesting mind of yours comes up with over the course of the year. :) -Stephanie K.

    ReplyDelete

Drop a line, a quip, a snippet, your pants, or an anecdote...just don't drop the soap.