Monday, November 30, 2009

Poem-A-Day: Day 18

Winter Nights
The air smells cold
and the wind calls my name in frigid whisper.

My gloves are on,
but I still feel the sting
of the freeze
tingling fingers
and soul alike.

I take two steps
and numbing air tells me to take ten more.

The wind doesn’t know,
but it tries in vain
to intercept
my veins and thoughts
with a chilling desperation.

My feet are a burden
and I wonder if walking has turned to bitter conversation.

I lay down to death,
but it’s no less a yoke
than it is
some joking anxiousness
waiting to be heard.

The algid air winks
and reaches out to me with compassionate boreal grace.

2 comments:

  1. I'm eagerly awaiting the next poem!

    ReplyDelete
  2. this must be a memory of winter, because it ain't cold yet!

    ReplyDelete

Drop a line, a quip, a snippet, your pants, or an anecdote...just don't drop the soap.