Sunday, November 29, 2009

Poem-A-Day: Day 17

The Some of All Fears
Somewhere
I left life in the lurch,
or it left me
something
that I just don’t understand.
Not fully,
I get the point
sometimes,
but not often enough really.
I tell myself
that I’m in the know,
when I’m really
face down in the shit.
I’m not sure
how I got there, but
somehow
I ended up cheek deep
in a mess.
Maybe there’s hope yet.
Someday
I’ll be your next,
best thing
since deciding to shower.
Or I’ll be the next,
prominent figurehead
in the field of poetry.
I’d be
somebody.

But as it stands,
I’m nobody,
just the next,
great poorhouse slave
working to live,
schooling to tell myself
that what I will amount to
is more
than another wasted space,
someplace
other than here.
I’d like to think,
but I can’t,
because I am no more,
than the same
someone
that sits next to you on the bus.

Somewhere,
life is laughing.

2 comments:

  1. I think you'd be hard-pressed to find someone who can't relate to this one on some level. I've really been enjoying reading these.

    ~Ava

    ReplyDelete
  2. when you surround yourself with the right people, life doesn't suck as much as it should

    ReplyDelete

Drop a line, a quip, a snippet, your pants, or an anecdote...just don't drop the soap.