Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Poem-A-Day: Day 90

Response to a Car Accident
He looked at me like I was crazy.

Little did he know I was,
and as I raised the hammer
high above my head
in the effort to drive a nail
clear through the world,
he shuddered quietly,
but I heard him.

He looked at me like I had nothing to lose.

I don’t have anything to lose,
that is to say,
I’ve already lost most things
at one point in time
either presently or in the future,
and with that in mind,
I bring the hammer down
in an almost perfect arc
collapsing on itself in slow motion.

He watched in horror.

I am horrible,
as horrible as monsters come
with little regards to man, god or beast,
because instead of abjectly howling
like a beast in heat,
I coo in adulation
as the hammer strikes the target
sending the last remaining life it had
spiraling in an almost perfect arc
expanding on itself in slow motion.

He sits quietly on the cold dark ground
cradling his head like a wounded baby
and laments his broken Hot Wheels.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Drop a line, a quip, a snippet, your pants, or an anecdote...just don't drop the soap.